The YMCA provides a range of vocational training pathways for participants across Queensland, including trade and non-trade qualifications.
We currently offer training programs under the Queensland Government’s Skilling Queenslanders for Work Initiative. Skilling Queenslanders for Work provides skills development, training and job opportunities to unemployed, disengaged, or disadvantaged Queenslanders through a suite of targeted skills and training programs. This Skilling Queenslanders for Work project is proudly funded by the Queensland Government.
The Y delivers Community Work Skills programs in partnership with selected registered training organisations (RTOs).
Community Work Skills
Community Work Skills assists disadvantaged Queenslanders to gain nationally recognised skills and qualifications up to a certificate III level. This program is at no cost to eligible participants.
Eligibility checklist. To be eligible you must:
- Be aged 15 years or older
- Be a Queensland resident
- Be not currently enrolled in a school
- Be ineligible for Australian Government employment services or assistance, OR have accessed Australian Government services for more than 6 months and remain unemployed
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident (includes humanitarian entrant), OR a temporary resident with the necessary visa and work permits on the pathway to permanent residency
Enrolment steps & Required documents for enrolments. To get started you need to:
- Return a completed expression of interest form or fill in this online form
- Come in for a Meet & Greet session to discuss the course, your eligibility and complete a ‘snapshot’
- Provide your ID (Birth Certificate, Passport, Licence, Proof of Age Card, Medicare Card, Health Care Card)
- Complete a literacy & numeracy assessment (for Salon Assistant course only)
Certificate II in Salon Assistant
This entry-level course will enable you to perform foundation skills within the Hairdressing Industry, perform routine work in a hair salon or barbershop such as greeting clients, scheduling appointments, washing clients' hair, cleaning the salon, apply hair color products, rinse & neutralise chemically structured hair and selling products and services.
- Registered training provider: Matters in Gray Training (MIG Training)
- Course duration: 16 weeks
- Training location: YMCA Kingston Senior Campus
- Program start date: February, June and September